Saturday, October 13, 2007

Disappointment

Good Morning! On what will be a beautiful Saturday here in northern California, it is with great disappointment that I read that the Governator vetoed the gay marriage bill that was pending from the legislature. I thought that with some of the recent gains on the subject nationally, that perhaps he would sign the bill, or let it become law without signature.

We have a domestic partnership bill in this state, but I can see that it falls far short of the full protection that same-sex couples deserve and need. Sweetie are not registered. It is something that perhaps we should do, or should have done years ago, but one of the very annoying elements is with tax filing. We would be required to file jointly for state tax returns, but separately for federal returns. What I would prefer is that we could be married, and be able to file both returns separately, as hetero couple can. Sweetie has a fairly complicated return. He is a professor, and does many side activities that really complicate his returns. He has been audited several times in the past few years- something I want no part of. My returns are very simple, and I would prefer to keep it that way.

If registered, we would be able to protect our assets. A recent court ruling here upheld the provision that property can pass on death without tax reassessment. That is particularly important since our home has more than doubled in value since we bought it nine years ago. We have since bought property up near Mt. Shasta. It has increased in value as well.

We will have to do something soon to protect ourselves. It is becoming more clear to us as we age.

Enough about that. I must get going and get ready to go to the gym. I try to arrive there at 7:00am on Saturdays- right at opening time. I'll be doing some cooking today, but I may take a break from yard work. Not much growth this week. Let's hear it for fall!!

Have a great day, all!!

-Tim

No comments: