Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Happy Administrative Assistants' Day!

My unit at work is really big on celebrating any possible holiday ever imagined. Therefore, there must be a celebration for Administrative Assistants' Day, and there will be! We (management types) were hit-up yesterday for contributions. Someone made a run to Costco for goodies. So this morning at around 10:00am, there will be an orgy of cake, cookies and punch to thank all of the admins that help prop us up. Don't get me wrong. I love to celebrate these types of things, but you can imagine what life is like around the holidays.

It should be a really nice day here today- about 79F. Yesterday's high of 81 was a real treat. I had a great workout at the gym last night. Geez, the place was crowded! When I arrived, not a single treadmill was available. Got my whole workout done and feeling great this morning!

Remember that new curry recipe I mentioned last weekend? Well, it was interesting, but not as good as my tried and true recipe from the old Good Housekeeping Cookbook. The curry was really much better on Monday. I guess the flavors had a chance to develop- it was really much better on Monday.

I love the good Housekeeping Cookbook! My copy is not my mother's, hers went to my sister after she died. I got mine from an old family friend who died many years ago. This woman had never opened the box, so in spite of being several decades old, it was brand new when I got it. I always know that when I need a recipe for something I want to prepare, I can always count on this wonderful book.

My mom used her's all the time. In fact, we had many meals while growing up where the recipes came from the WWII wartime supplement section that came with hers when she bought it during the war. Most people my age don't know what I am talking about, but perhaps a few older folks will run upon this blog and know exactly what the wartime cookbook supplements, complete with ration information, were.

I'll have to tell you a few stories about my folks, their memories of the war, and growing up with parents who were technically old enough to be my grandparents. Stories to follow.

I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday.

Regards to all.

No comments: